My friend E emailed me about a good sugar cookie recipe. This one is as close to perfection as I have found. The secret ingredient? Sour cream. Also, be sure to make these cookies thick and under cook a bit, if you like them soft.
Soft Sugar Cookies
4 c flour
1 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1/4 t ground nutmeg
1 c butter, softened
1 1/2 c sugar
1 t vanilla
1/2 c sour cream (can use light, but at this point, does it really make a difference?)
1. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar, add the egg, vanilla and sour cream and beat well.
3. Add the dry ingredients to the butter, etc.
4. Wrap dough in 2-3 packets and chill for a couple hours or overnight
5. Preheat oven to 375. Roll out dough to 1/4+ inch thickness. Cut and place on cookie sheets.
6. Bake for 8 minutes, cool slightly and remove to a cooling rack.
7. Put on your inner Picasso and create some Christmas masterpieces, and then make sure to leave some out for Santa on Christmas Eve.
Santa loves these cookies: